IT’S OFICALLY FALL!
I’ll be real- it’s like 85 degrees in LA right now & my pumpkin spice coffee was a major let down
– my inner basic bitch is having some autumnal fomo.
(I really hope you read that as a joke and not so earnest otherwise we cannot be friends)
Anyways, maybe you’ve been skipping through pumpkin patches and watching Hocus Pocus & Halloween Town on loop while snacking on pumpkin spice everything, gazing out the window at the colorful falling leaves, and you don’t need anything else to get you in the spirit then WOOP DE FUCKING DOOOO TO YOU
For all of you not as lucky as whoever is reading this and lives in Stars Hollow- this one is for you.
apple. cider. donuts.
(you’re welcome in advance)
APPLE CIDER DONUTS:
2 cups spiced apple cider
3 1/2 cups flour
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg & allspice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon cloves
6 tablespoons butter (melted and cooled)
Oil for frying (I used canola)
- In a small saucepan over medium high heat- bring your apple cider to a boil, whisking every so often until it’s reduced by half. About 10-12 minutes. Cool completely.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt & your spices.
- In a separate bowl whisk your eggs with the (cooled) melted butter and the (cooled) cider reduction. Once combined, slowly pour your wet ingredients into your dry, and mix just until the dough comes together. Your dough will be sticky, so refrigerate for about 30 minutes to an hour, or until it’s easier to handle and cut
- Roll your dough to about 1/2 inch thick onto a floured surface & cut with your donut cutter. (If you don’t have one, you can totally improvise with a mason jar lid, a jar, or regular cookie cutters.
- In a heavy bottomed pan, dutch oven, deep fryer, etc. bring your oil to 325 F, being careful not to overfill your pot, or it’ll bubble over and you’ll die. (kind of kidding but not really)
- Fry the donuts a few at a time (depending on the size of your pot- I did 4-5 at a time) until golden brown, about a minute to a minute and half on each side
- Place the cooked donuts on a paper towel lined sheet pan until they’re cool enough to handle
- Dunk, drizzle, or coat with your desired toppings!
FALL SPICED GLAZE:
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon cloves
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
( + as much water to get the consistency you want)
In a small bowl just combine everything until you reach your desired consistency
3/4 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
In a small bowl literally just combine cinnamon & sugar. Yep. That’s it. PEW PEW PEEEEEW!
WATCH THE RECPIE VIDEO
so what are you? team pumpkin spice or team apple cider?