I know I know I know - I'm a disgrace to 90's kids everywhere. But first hear me out- I have reasons. I grew up in a 100% processed food free home. Which I am TOTALLY not knocking, I'm actually really grateful that I was raised on whole foods- it makes me crave kale and lean protein over hydrogenated crap. So the closest thing I got to "cereal" as a kid was home made unsweetened granola which is just as cardboard-y as it sounds.
One of the few times I succumbed to eating said unsweetened granola was in a desperate midnight craving for crunch. In hopes of not waking my family up, I snuck into the kitchen without turning any of the lights on, poured myself a bowl, topped it off with some almond milk, and dug in- ONLY TO FIND THAT I WAS LITERALLY SHOVING SPOONFULS OF ANTS INTO MY MOUTH. I mean #protein but also #barf
I mean it just gets soggy and gross and makes me feel like I'm Oliver Twist.
So despite my ever so scarring relationship with cereal, I've always been fascinated with how in recent years it's completely blown up in the foodie world. Pair that with donuts & it's just soOOooOOOooooOOOooo trendy
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 extra-large egg, lightly beaten
- 1¼ cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1½ cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons “cereal” milk (Soak cereal for 30 minutes, mash & drain!)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Extra Cinnamon Toast Crunch to top
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray 2 donut pans with non stick spray (use a mini muffin tin for "donut holes")
- In a medium bowl combine 1 cup of cereal with 1 cup of milk - set aside to soak for 30 minutes
- Into a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, butter (melted), and vanilla.
- Stir the wet mixture into the dry ingredients until just combined (don't over mix)
- Pipe (or spoon) the batter into the donut pans until almost full
- Bake for 15- 17 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes, & remove donuts from pan
- Combine 3 tablespoons “cereal” milk with confectioners sugar & vanilla to taste
- Top with Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cereal!
Feel free to sub in your favorite cereal (just make sure to adjust the spices accordingly) if Cinnamon Toast Crunch doesn’t do it for ya! I think Lucky Charms would be so cute. Cherrios would stress me out…too many little holes. OOO Fruity Pebbles too! Captain Crunch? & I guess Raisin Bran if you’re boring (or just constipated #TMI)
What was your favorite cereal as a kid? Has it changed since you’ve grown up?