- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup warm water
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F
- & spray 3 6-inch cake pans with nonstick spray & line with parchment circles
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, espresso powder, baking soda, and salt. Wisk together & then set aside!
- In your standing mixer (with paddle attachment) Cream your butter until light and fluffy, add both your white sugar & brown sugars and mix until smooth & no longer grainy.
- Add in eggs & molasses and mix until combined.
- Alternate adding 1/3 of the dry ingredents with adding a 1/3 of the warm water
- Repeat until you add the last of the dry ingredents & mix until combined.
- Divide the batter evenly in your prepared cake pans & smooth out the top
- Bake for 15 minutes, and then rotate pans
- Bake for another 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Let your cakes rest until you can remove them from the pan & then cool to room temperature
- Once they are fully cooled, slice each cake layer in half to end up with 6 layers